Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SOL Jackpot!

Being more materialistic (wanting something tangible for my money) than a risk taker, I only infrequently purchase a lottery ticket. If, as I am paying for my groceries, I notice a loose dollar or two in my wallet, I might wheel my cart over to the lottery machines.  That is exactly what I did on Saturday. My dream is of the prize of a thousand dollars a week for the rest of my life. What a difference this sum would make to my life, I imagine! So I slid my two crinkled dollars into the machine. Rats! All my dream come true tickets are missing from the machine and the machine does not even think about giving me my money back. I pressed a random button, the title of which I had never heard. At the risk of sounding desperate, after loading my groceries into my car, I sat and read the directions for this unfamiliar game. Grabbing a dime, I started scratching away. Eight games, eight chances to win. One, two, three, four, five, I knew I should have saved my two dollars. Hmm??? Let me read those directions again. It said 5K means 5 times the indicated prize and I have a 5K. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Maybe it means two like figures and the 5K win. Well, I think they may have written the directions incorrectly. I decided to look at it again later. I drove home, put the groceries away then later headed back out. I really needed to check it out. Thinking I'll probably be embarrassed, I walked up to the lottery counter. When the girl's eyebrows went up and she said, "Wow!", I knew I had read the card right. I won $250! I was so excited as I left the store. It surely was better than the $2 prize I would normally have gotten excited about. I can't even imagine the reaction I would have if I ever won my dream prize. For now I'll just spend my winnings over and over in my head until I find just the right one! Several of my family members have offered to help. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. How FUN! And how fun to imagine what you will spend it on. Sometimes more fun than the actual spending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's what keeps us buying the lottery ticket . . . I might win and you did! Enjoy the windfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. Congratulations on winning "bonus" money. The part about doubting your luck (and the directions) rang true.

    ReplyDelete