Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Hometown Family Will Grow!


During the SOLC in March, I wrote of the possibility of my son and daughter-in-law moving to our city. They have been doing research and teaching hundreds of miles from our home for quite a few years. My husband and I are very proud of their many accomplishments and support their decisions. It was rarely verbalized but yet there has always been a wistful hope of them some day finding a match with their career goals and the University in our city.

During the last several months they have researched, visited and interviewed at universities in many cities around the country. It’s funny how one opportunity that would bring them “only 11 driving hours away” was an exciting possibility! 

They were offered several positions. Deep breath…one was here! After weighing the options, they recently have chosen to accept the positions offered HERE! They won’t be moving for over a year but already my head spins with the excitement of this move.

I have never written a series of haiku but thought I’d give it a try, inspired by their journey. I know the SOL writing community is always so supportive of everyone’s posts. I am however a little shy about the possibility of my son reading this post as he told me he is following my blog! Anyway, here goes.

 
gathering knowledge
first in the east then the west
midwest became home

hard to be so far
visits treasured, memories
made just twice a year

academia
new campuses to research
possibly to move

inhaling fresh hope
university in town
could it be a fit?

jubilation soars
yes! they will be moving home
wishes do come true

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful for you! I am so jealous, since my son is a long two day drive from me. Beautiful haiku, your son should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    SO happy that your wish came true! Love your haiku. Hope you are having a good week. ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news! We just moved away from my sister and her family and I miss them every day! So glad your son and daughter-in-law will be moving back. Loved the haikus!

    ReplyDelete